Tuesday, March 13, 2012

DIY Personalized Pocket Pillow

My little niece's birthday is this week and she is turning 4 years old! I usually don't send gifts for our nieces and nephews just because we have so many, and honestly, we just can't afford to! That's a lot of gift giving. However, I wanted to send a little something to my niece this year because she just became a big sister, and I wanted to help her feel special on her big day! 


Since every little girl I know loves all things girly and pretty, I decided to make her a personalized pillow with the letter "M" on it for her name, Macy! I thought to make it even more special, I would incorporate a pocket for the pillow (similar to the ones I made prior), and stuff it with a tiny little felt monster! Remember the one I made for my son? Well I made the tiny mini-version this go around!


It turned out so cute!

Here's what you need! I had everything on hand so this gift cost me absolutely nothing except for the cost of shipping! Woo Hoo!

*Felt for mini monster, cute fabric (size according to your pillow needs - mine was only about 10 x 11 inch), scissors, sewing machine (not required), needle and thread, ribbon*


The first thing I did was cut two layers of my pillow shape. Then using one layer of the square fabric, I pinned on a ruffle using satin ribbon. I did two layers of satin ribbon.


I then sewed the ribbon onto the fabric using a simple stitch straight across.


Next, I cut out this cute heart, letter, and flower out of felt. For the flower I just cut some circles and arranged them like so.


I then stitched the flower together by hand, stitched the "M" onto the felt heart, and then stitched the whole thing onto the center of the pillow. In order to make the heart a pocket, I stitched only the sides and bottom of the heart onto the square fabric, and then stitched around the top of the heart, but did not sew it to the fabric - this way it stayed open! I also added one other thin ribbon border (the blue) just to jazz it up a little more!


Here is what it looked like:


I turned the fabric inside out (so the undersides of the fabric were both on the outside) and then sewed the sides of the pillow together. You can see my method of sewing a pillow here (prior project). I then flipped the pillow back to the right side, stuffed it with pillow stuffing I had from an old pillow, and then sewed up the bottom.


In order to make the mini felt monster - I just cut the shape out of felt, stitched the edges, and then hot glued the mouth and eye. For more details click here (prior project).


I added a clip that I had made prior so now the monster looks more girly and Macy can use the hair clip as well for her own hair!


Here it is one more time! I stuffed a little lolly pop in there and the gift is done! I hope she loves it! Thanks for sharing!


I'll be linking up here!
 



13 comments:

  1. This is very cute. & what a good idea.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUTE Cute CUTE! She is going to love this! Super sweet of you- love the little touch of the hair clip on the felt monster!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute and colorful...what little girl wouldn't love this. I'm glad I found your blog. I'm a new GFC and LF follower. I would love if you stopped by and followed back. Hope to see you soon, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute and ever so girlie pillow! Your niece will love it!!! The heart pocket is a fabulous idea!!! Your hand stitching looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your neice is going to love this! The monster in the pocket is so cute! Thanks for sharing at our Uncommonly Yours link party! Have a great week!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colors! The pocket is a great idea too. My two year old is fascinated with pockets right now. She held on to a conversation heart candy all day without us knowing because of her pockets! Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays at The NY Melrose Family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very Princess girly! I like!

    I am following the linky follower party hop. I am now following you on GFC and Linky Follower. Hope you follow me.

    http://itstimetoreadmamaw.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Already following you lovely blog.

    Thanks for the comment and following me.

    http://itsabouttimemamaw.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jessie, I'm featuring your Pocket Pillow today...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/03/threading-your-way-features_17.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is seriously the cutest pillow ever! How fun! Thank you so much for sharing at Mom On Timeout!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this pillow! Thanks for sharing at our Shine on Friday party. I featured you yesterday http://www.happygoluckyblog.com/2012/03/thursdays-top-ten.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jessie, I've featured your Pocket Pillow Tutorial again today...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/06/ten-pillow-and-cushion-tutorials.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...