Thursday, March 1, 2012

Subway Scripture Art Decor

Again, I was browsing one of my favorite blogs (also on Pinterest) and found this project! Wow, for anyone who knows myself or my family, you know we LOVE the Lord and follow Him whole-hearted! What a perfect way to infuse art, design and scripture! I decided I wanted to do something similar to this because it was so cute, cost affordable, and simple to create!


Shanty 2 Chic link

What you will need:

Wood for the base
Scripture print out
Staple Gun
Hammer
Alligator teeth to hang the artwork (or something similar)
Furniture tacks
Fabric of choice

I went with a 1" x 12" x 4' board  which cost me about $7.00 from Home Depot. I had Home Depot cut the board into two equal lengths of 13" each, and then I just kept the leftover piece for a later project. Instead of staining this, I decided to cover it in fabric, and to do two pieces of art.


I was at Joanns Fabric store just browsing when I found some great grey and yellow fabric on sale. A yard only cost me a little over $2.00 - can you believe it?! What a bargain! I did not have a staple gun yet, but it was a good purchase because I know I'll put it to good use - this cost me $12.99. I created the artwork myself utilizing Adobe Illustrator. Everything else I had on hand so this was, thankfully, a very affordable project!


This was the first time I had ever covered something in fabric so please bare with me if this is not the proper technique! I just used my logic to cover it. I first pulled one of the long edges over and stapled the fabric down, then did the same to the parallel side. 



Did the same to cover the shorter edges (kind of how you would wrap a present) and pulled the fabric tightly so the front stayed smooth. From here you can cut off any excess fabric, but I just left it. No one should see it anyhow, right?

I added the alligator teeth (these range anywhere from about $2.00 and up I believe for a pack of 4) to the back for hanging purposes. I apologize as I didn't take a picture of this.


Then I tacked on my artwork. Lesson learned (also first time doing subway art) - leave a little room for the tacks if choosing to hang this way :)


Last but not least I hung the two pieces of art on the wall by my front door! So adorable! Also - we plan to paint the walls a cool gray sometime, so the color scheme will look much better then!



I love this artwork and it was all very quick (minus the time I spent formatting and picking the scriptures I wanted to use). Thanks Shanty 2 Chic for the inspiration!


I will also be entering this here!





I'll be linking up here!










18 comments:

  1. look at you go!!! Jessie I love this! I love that fabric as well--score!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Very productive day indeed :) Thanks so much! I really love how it turned out too and so EXCITED about the fabric! Now I have to learn how to sew clothes ... that's going to save me $$$!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jessie they turned out great! I want to make a subway art myself. Tell me is this paper, fabric or what?
    Love, Olga
    P.S.: your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Olga! Thanks so much! These were printed on high quality gloss photo paper!

      Delete
  4. That's really beautiful, great job!! I'm in love with art work that includes scriptures, and also hymns... I just finished something myself with the words of Amazing Grace... I hope to post about it tomorrow! :)

    Leanne @ Because (I think) I Can

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry, forgot to link to my blog in case you are interested! :)
    www.becauseithinkican.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leanne! Thanks so much - I'm heading to your blog now!

      Delete
  6. Love this idea. I'm going to pin it. Thanks for sharing!
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your subway Scripture Art is really very beautiful. I love that it has scriptures on it. What better to see every day. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best Party. PS - I've featured this on my Facebook page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy! Thanks again :) I'm so honored!

      Delete
  8. This turned out fantastic! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness... Love the scripture art!!! You did a great job! I would love for you to link up to my party going on now at Jillify It! Hope to see you there!

    Jill
    www.jillifyit.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just love this! Pinned and thanks so much for sharing on Mom On Timeout!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you made it it's own piece of artwork by backing it with the wood. Thanks for sharing this at Whimsy Wednesday over at The NY Melrose Family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the scriptures you chose and the colors are so cute!! They look perfect together! I need to make something like this for my home! Thanks for entering this as well in the Project Pinterest Challenge! Good Luck!
    Jill
    twoyellowbirdsdecor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...